Saturday 18 August 2012

Interview Week

Well now.  It's been a funny 10 days.

Last week, I called an ecological firm nearby and sent a CV after they asked me to.  I've yet to hear feedback, but it has only been 7 working days.  So, I'll give them a mither on Monday.

And then I went back to Cardiff for a couple of days, randomly.  It was good to see family and friends.  St. David's 2 has really improved the shopping and restaurant situation down there (it was already good to begin with, but now it's just amazing!).  I had a good time with the lads, good company and food, returned home and recovered because when I say randomly, gosh.  It was a 3am deciding to "let's go" because the OH had a job down there to do those two days.

The rest of the weekend was spent making bits and pieces from fimo and reading Snuff by Terry Pratchett as well as seeing some friends of ours in The North.  Excellent.  Everyone needs a week off.

So Monday, I had an interview for a volunteer position.  It was with RECORD, so it's based in Chester Zoo.  I was a bit late due to road problems and sat nav problems, so it was quite stressful.  However, they still decided to take me on and I start volunteering there on Monday, which I'm really looking forward to.  It's not too glamourous (GIS and data processing) but the perks are that it gets me meeting people, keeps my skills current, keeps me busy a day a week AND I get to have lunch with the lions and servals.  See the serval!  I have decided his name is Herbert:


I did have a giggle as I was watching him -- someone wanders up going "Are they dangerous?"  I'm kinda thinking to myself "It's a cat.  Of course it's dangerous.  Never mind the 50lb advantage it has over the house cat..."  Bless.  They also have a really nice British wildflower space which I'm going to get some better pictures of next week.

Monday nights also happen to be games night with some friends of mine down in Chester, which is good as it's a mixture of board games and card games.  It's also fortuitous, because I didn't realise it when I opted to volunteer that day.  Get in!

Thursday I had an interview for the arboricultural surveyor job I applied for.  Now that was an interesting experience.  I'm used to being the wildcard applicant, but it's something to actually be told it.  The interview was really hit and miss so I've genuinely no idea how well I did.  Currently my head tells me no though, which would be sad as they seemed like a good company to work for.  On the bright side, I got myself a set of interview clothes that make me feel confident.  Looking confident and feeling confident are two different things, but feeling it helps make the looking of it.

As for the jobs mentioned on the previous blog post...
Bridgend volunteering just wasn't practical.
Invasive species officer wasn't practical to even apply for.
I'm no good at birds.  I went for a wander in the woods this last week in preparation for the interview on Thursday.  It just confirmed that I'm no good at birds; but I did find wild raspberries, so there's a bonus.  No, they did not make it home.

I've seen no jobs to apply for this last week, which makes me sad.  Just chasing up loose ends and calling folks to see if they mind me putting in a speculative CV.  I really think that contacting people before I email them is, firstly, polite and secondly, it puts a person behind that CV.  I must admit to thinking that it's really important.

In other news, I now have 115,000 followers on Pinterest.  I'm still not entirely sure why other than I pin every day, I check my sources, and I write about why I'm interested.  I did have the nicest compliment this last week:  "You should write a book or an ebook! I would buy it! I do genealogy and have royalty in my family line. Your pictures and stories are awesome and they explain the individual and the era."  That was on the day of the interview so it cheered me up immensely.  It's certainly something to sit down and think about.  I often think about writing, formally and properly.  I'd be awful as a fiction writer, but I'm not bad as a factual writer who likes to throw in a human connection.

Time will out.

No comments:

Post a Comment