Wednesday 29 August 2012

Gathering Week

Ow.  This last week has been a hammer.

So, Monday -- first day volunteering at Record.  Actually, that was the day of rest and it was really good to get back into using GIS programs (even if it was MapInfo, which isn't my preference).  Still, I'd not done much with digitising NVCs before, so it was a really good experience and this weekend, I'll be doing some mycology off the back of it.  In short, I'll be learning some more about fungi and lichens.  Yes.  I'm weird.  I am aware of this.  Though the weirdest thing about volunteering at a biological records centre was the response to a team member finding a dead bat in one of the storage boxes.  Record collects all the biological sighting data for Cheshire... so of course there was interest in recording the type of bat and it's gender before getting rid of the poor thing (and it's new inhabitants.  Grim).  The bat situation was eventually resolved (and recorded, sadly).  I followed this up with a games evening in the pub, which was quite cathartic and made some new friends, which was good.  I also had a mooch earlier in the day where I spent some time hanging out with the red pandas.  I have to admit to watching one of them with great joy as they munched on one of the hawthornes in their enclosure with every sign of enjoyment.

And then I had a week where I could find no new jobs to apply for.  But that also gave me a week to do leatherworking.  Specifically faction symbols, more guild symbols, a belt with tonnes of pouches, bards sashes, a bandolier... it raised a lot of money for the faction, which is fantastic, plus it covered the make costs, so I'm a happy bunny (see all the tags below!)


Getting those metal stamps made saved my sanity.

Outside of that, the event this last weekend just about broke me. Still, I think I had fun -- I just wish I didn't attempt to get all my exercise for the month in in one weekend.  Yeowch.

As a side note, I now have over 300,000 followers on Pinterest.  I'm still shocked about it, but still -- very cool. It's made me think about adding to this blog and creating some infographics about ecology.

1 comment:

  1. I would be interested in seeing some of the leather working stuff.

    ReplyDelete