Sunday 7 October 2012

Yellow Staghorn

We saw so many species at Delamere that I couldn't possibly actually do an entry on each one -- partially because I'm not sure that any one person got a full species list.  I can, however, do entries on the ones I got good pictures of.  One of those species is Calocera viscosa, which has a few common names including yellow staghorn, staghorn jelly, jelly antler, yellow false coral and yellow tuning fork.  We were lucky enough to find a fantastic looking one:


Yeah.  I know!  This is one of the reasons I was so happy about yesterday's mushroom day.  I was going to write about how I was surprised that there wasn't a common name for it along the lines of "false fire" until I looked up the literal translation of the scientific name for it.  Calo refers to calor, which refers to heat, inflammation, glowing, fires of passion.  Cera literally just means wax and viscosa, well, viscosa refers to the fruiting body being viscid or greasy.  "Greasy fire wax" is how I prefer to think of it, especially as a bit more research also tells me that a taxonomist called Wallroth in 1833 decided to call it Calocera flammea, but the name didn't stick.  I agree with him though.

This beautiful fungus can get up to 10cm in height and is often found on dead conifer wood.  I believe this one was on a felled pine, though it was a bit past it in terms of identification.  If this fungus looks like it's growing from the floor, it's probably actually growing on dead coniferous roots under the soil.  It's a saprophyte, preferring really and truly dead trees and is present between June and December.  It's pretty common and widespread in Britain and Europe; I also found out that it's present in Canada and North America (at least in parts). It also has a white form, but that's a pretty rare find.

It's not poisonous, but being a jelly fungus means it's got an odd texture and from all accounts it's got a nondescript taste and odour.  It's another one of those that sounds like it falls into the "technically edible" category.  I recently read a book that used the term "edible, but not worthwhile", which sounds perfect for this species.  Personally, I'd rather just look at it in vague wonder and take some great pictures.


I still say that it looks like suspended pixie fires.  Yes, it's really that bright a colour.

Edit:  Ironically, during the writing of this post, a candle just burned a hole in the carpet.  /facepalm.

No comments:

Post a Comment